Monday, September 10, 2007

Fellini Satyricon

Today I watched the weirdest movie I have ever seen. It was called Fellini Satyricon. To explain the title, it's actually Satyricon, but that name was already registered, so the director threw his name on it.

I've seen the damn thing, and I still had to look at my 1001 Movies Book, IMDB, Charter (cable company, which I recorded it with), and Netflix (whose description is so far off, even I know it's wrong) just to get a general idea about it. I'll go with Charter's description for the basic thing, who say it's about the debauchery in Rome during Nero's reign (although I don't think Nero was ever mentioned during the movie). I'm going to go into detail, so yeah, there will be spoilers.

As it starts, the main character (who appears in a majority of the movie - more on that in a second) is talking about how his friend stole his boyfriend (I'm too lazy to remember all the names, so just go by these). Then his friend shows up and explains how he sold the boyfriend to a famous actor. Then main character and friend meet up and fight. Eventually, main character goes to the actor, gets back the boyfriend, and goes home...where friend shows up again. He says to let the boyfriend choose who to go with, and he goes with friend. Then an earthquake happens. I kid you not.

From here, the movie really makes no sense. It's just a random threading along of the main character going places and having stuff happen across different segments. There are some interesting segments on their own, but there's no real story in place here that links them all together. There is a plotline near the end where the main character, uh, becomes a "disarmed soldier". That is, his "scepter stops working". So he goes to a witch who was cursed by a wizard so that her vagina created fire.

At the end, the main character sails off, and while talking about something, stops, and it fades to pictures of the movie's various characters on some ruins. That's it.

It was an intersting movie at parts, yeah, but I don't think I really liked it. It was just too hard to keep up with, mainly because it didn't bother trying to make sure you could keep up with it.

No comments: