Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Eureka, Aeon Flux, and cooking

One of the shows I was really looking forward to returning this summer was Eureka. If you haven't seen it, a sherrif (sheriff? sherriff? I hate double letters) and his daughter get into a car accident and end up finding a secret government town with lots of expirements going on, and they decide to stay. Of course, the expirements constantly go wrong, they look for what's causing the wrongness, blah blah blah, and the sherif saves the day in the end.

The problem is that the episodes are getting ridiculously predictable. 10 minutes into the episode, I'm already saying "That guy is a red herring, it's really that guy that's causing it". Although it is interesting how they keep thinking up of experiments to go wrong (last night's episode dealt with invisibility), the show really needs to focus on its character development. The weakest episodes are the ones where there's little character development and little information on the season's overarcing plot. Fortunately, this episode had some of both, so it was a pretty good episode.

Next up: the Aeon Flux movie. I am going to prefix this with the fact that I have never seen the Aeon Flux show, so my opinion is of a complete outsider to it. Also, I never think of Aeon as pronounced "Eon". I always pronouce it like Ay-on. It sounds cooler that way.

Anyways, I actually kinda enjoyed the movie in some ways. I thought the plot was pretty interesting, and a lot of the visuals were well done. In other ways, I also didn't like it. In fact, this is one of the movies where I really think they should've gone R, considering a lot of the scenes seemed like they'd actually benefit from a bit of ultra-violence. I think I'd give it about a 6.5/10.

And the last thing is completely non-review related, but I've been doing cooking for my family recently. So far, I've made corn chowder, bratwurst in a beer sauce thing, salisbury steak, and chicken curry. All the recipes I've done no one in my family has made before (although we've made similar recipes, these have new variations), but I think I've been doing pretty well so far. So if you ever come to my house, I can cook for you. ^_^

No comments: